Orange – cranberry cake that is. This is a fabulous recipe! Definitely worth the time, which really isn’t very much – it’s the chopping of the cranberries which is a bit time consuming – but hey, pop on some great music and chop away…Try it, you won’t regret it – everyone loves it! Plus, it’s easy and won’t break the budget, even though your taste buds will tell you otherwise…
Gift Idea – make small loaves, wrap in simple wax paper, tie with twine (or red ribbon) and add a sprig of greenery – who wouldn’t love that? Extra bonus, include the recipe.
What you’ll need;
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 cups fresh cranberries, chopped
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
1 recipe orange glaze
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan (I used a square 8×8 pan – I don’t own a tube pan – though I’d suggest using one if you have one – if not, improvise, like I did); set aside.
2. In large bowl stir together flour, oats, baking powder, soda and salt.
3. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add 1 cup sugar; beat until well combined. Add eggs; beat until well combined. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.
4. Toss cranberries with 2 tablespoons sugar; fold into batter with orange peel. Spread cake batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake 50-60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool on wire rack.
6. Spoon orange glaze over cooled cake. Let stand until glaze is set. Makes 12+ servings.
Orange Glaze: In small bowl combine 1 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel. Add 2-4 teaspoons orange juice to make drizzling consistency.
I came across this recipe in a magazine years ago… I neglected to make note of the magazine (and it’s nowhere on the page)… Whomever the credits go to, they are deserved. Thank you, this is delicious!